Friday 9 April 2021

2021.8 Chariot

The Allographic prompt today was to go to Wikipedia’s entry for 8-Apr and pick something to write about. I chose the life of Constantina, which turned out to be quite the ride.

My only worth: a bride-price for a king;
A civilising influence to boot.
(It seems my latter legend holds a sting.)

Depending on your source, I made a suit,
Or else was sent where I could cause less harm
(A civilising influence to boot.)

It seems that older wives can have their charms
For this Augusta made his blood run hot.
(Or else was spent where it could cause less harm.)

But now I’m dead I could be all I’m not,
Some scribe who never met me penning verse
(For this Augusta made his blood run hot.)

And fever stole my breath – it could be worse
My reputation’s made another shift:
Some scribes who never met me penning verse.

From harridan to saint I’ve armed a gift
My former worth: a bride-price for a king;
My reputation’s made another shift –
It seems my latter legend holds a sting.


This is a terzanelle, created using the Repeating Forms tool.


Indoor photograph of a silver, stylised, delicate forearm and hand on a small, heavy plinth. The arm is upright, with the hand open, reaching up towards the heavens, fingers lightly curved. The arm is spotlit from above, in front of a rough stone background, adding to the eeriness of the image. The plinth appears to be partly a thick chunk of solid glass, bound either end with silver. The silver of the forearm is chased and engraved with curving, frond-like shapes. In the centre of the forearm is a glass viewing window with an intricate silver clasp, through which can be seen a long, thin, grey object of possibly bone or stone resting in red velvet and tapering up into the darkness of the inside of the reliquary.
From Wikipedia, arm reliquaire of Saint Constantina, Santa Maria della Scala in Siena,
by © José Luiz Bernardes Ribeiro, CC BY-SA 4.0

(Image description in alt-text.)

No comments:

Post a Comment