Monday 26 April 2021

2021.14 Rank and File

Image by @DianaVanDamme from @artstationhq

I do not want to write a love poem.
My walls crumbled twelve months ago,
desert winds blowing a blast of superheated
malice to strip me to my core.
They had always been there,
circling, twisting, piling drifts to
Trickle into my foundations through every
crack; they were the reason for the walls,
after all.

(I wonder about my foundations.
About who cracked them in the first place.
Whether they were built crooked,
or whether it was only nature taking its course.)

I do not want to write a love poem.
I want to soothe my bleeding, sand-burned
surface, submerge in cool waters,
trust my weight to kindly, liquid fingers.
But I was not made to float,
must fight to the clinging surface, gasping,
too stubborn to drown, too unwieldy to glide,
ill-equipped to strike for mist-thick shore.

(I wonder about the weight of sand,
the stone in my bones,
the fire that will not let itself go out,
for fear of never reigniting.)

I do not want to write a love poem.
I do not want to wade through every element
in search of some meaning,
patterns neat and replicable,
inscribing something mirroring truth,
reversing my fortunes in the name of normalcy.
I will seek hope, bright in the margins,
because the only thing that seems clear to me
is what I can never have.


I’ve been trying to follow my own prompts. And you know what? I managed to snooker myself with #14. Turns out I did not want to write a love poem. So, in the end, I followed the advice I often give other writers, which has worked for me in prose before: I lampshaded it. Sort of. I can’t tell if this is finished, and, in a way, it doesn’t really matter. Not this month.

A slender, pale-skinned woman is standing on a small, rugged rock as waves crash into either side of it in the angry swell. The sea is grey-green and choppy, the sky above boils with layers of underlit grey-green cloud, echoed in the shape of the dark grey, ragged cloak that is flying up from the woman's otherwise naked shoulders and cascading down her back to pool and writhe around her legs and under her feet. The rest of her is naked. Very naked. Like not a pick of body hair including on her mons naked, apart from her breasts and shoulders, which are covered by the cloak. Her full hips are tilted and she is standing on tiptoe on this tiny rock, left knee crossed in front of the right. For some reason she is wearing tight, silvery scale mail vambraces (forearm armour). In her left hand she holds a slender, plain sword. Her dark grey-brown hair, streaked with silver, boils upward like the cloak, and appears to be surrounded by a kind of spectral crown. She looks angry. Like very old, narrow-faced being that has been angry for a very long time and is only looking like a slender, young woman because it fuels her aeons-old rage. She has such pale iris that it is impossible to tell their colour, and only the vaguest suggestion of a pupil in her right eye, none in her left. There is a small, squarish monogram in the bottom right-hand corner which reads "DIANA VAN DAMME 15" but I had to scroll really close in to read it!

Okay, look, it’s basically like this: I went looking for “misty lake” images, but Google thought I was still looking for TV Tropes, and before you know it, The Lady of the Lake turned up, and she was so angry and gnarly, and unlike any image I’ve ever seen of NimuĂ« that I thought: Yeah, okay!

Image by @DianaVanDamme and downloaded from @ArtStationHQ.


No comments:

Post a Comment