Tuesday 12 April 2022

2022.9 Tenebrae

A #Mothra, courtesy of Beth Hartley, via Poetry Non-Stop’s prompt for the day (inspired by an image from StormHour):

There
is a
beauty in contrasts:
opposites propping each other
up, providing a backdrop, swapping
light for dark, and vice versa,
all the while building to a crescendo,
dipping in and out, weaving a foundation for
loud that only works because the quiet came first.
And now that sudden hush as reality creaks, waiting, breath
held, for the cloudburst, the ecstasy of finally just letting go...

And oh, the relief, as all the loud and bright and
dark, soft and jagged, haggard and hopeful, tangle, the way
they’ve been waiting to, the way they were made
to take up space, even if just for
this one moment, this breathing, heaving respite
from holding still, from tamping down.
from that difficult frown of
hiding from the neighbours.
No matter now.
Just breathe.
There.

Photograph of a sunset sky from a high vantage point over a large plain. The sky boils with dark, layered clouds, side-lit by the sunset. One huge swag of cloud seems to have been ripped from the main bank and is flowing raggedly down to touch the ground. It's all incredibly dramatic!
Image: Shower Over Jodrell Bank by Mark Boardman, via StormHour


I find Mothras difficult, it turns out, because my brain has mastered syllable counting at a pretty much unconscious level these days, but word-counting doesn’t fit my rhythmic nature! Or something. Anyway, it was nice to give this a go. Why not try it on yourself via the ever-present Concrete and Repeating Poetry Forms Spreadsheet?

(It was also very pleasing to discover the multiple meanings of tenebrae...)



6 comments:

  1. This is very lovely! And it makes me smile that this can be read to be about the gay pirates, as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean... no longer hiding your true self in the safety of the storm's shout? Gay pirates? Maaaybeeee...?

      Delete
  2. Well, I do have ofmd brainrot, so everything reads like them ^^'
    But, you know.. Opposites propping each other up (Love that phrasing, btw)
    And that whole second stanza! It's.. okay, I think it's my head-fanfic version of what that blackbonnet kiss could have been. What it was for Ed, I think,and what he had hoped it was for Stede, too. Only, Stede wasn't free to rain yet.. does that make sense? Gosh, I can't wait for s2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! Was that okay? I didn't mean it to come across as telling you how to interpret your own writing. It's just,the pirates make me feel things and your writing makes me feel things..so they kinda got mingled together in my brain 😅

      Delete
    2. Okay, but 1. One of the main things I ADORE about poetry is how open to interpretation it is. And if you get gay pirates, or migraines, or storms, or having a rant about your boss after a crap day, or breaking into song when no-one's listening, or something far more carnal out of that piece, for example, then ALL of it is great. I'm seriously not precious about that, and the alchemy of how my images turn into words, then turn into images in someone else's head through a variety of filters, which in turn transmute to more words is frankly magical for my fabulously neurodivergent brain. And I LOVE a bit of meta - you keep going. (Also: "Stede wasn't free to rain yet" is a killer phrase!)

      2. While I've narrowed the suspects down, the fact that we're having this conversation and I've NO idea who you are, is absolutely delightful to me on a different level again.

      Delete
    3. That is absolutely lovely and made me tear up a little bit, in a good way!

      😅 I didn't mean to keep it secret, I just didn't bother to find out how to leave a name ^^' Do you want to know or would you rather it remained a mystery? (Though actually, I'd be suprised (and delighted) if you could connect anything with my name😅)

      Delete