Wednesday 20 April 2022

2022.16 Revenge

Content warning: circular thoughts, sleep deprivation, implied despair and self-neglect.

Does it ever stop? Is stopping an option?
I am propped up on cough drops and not enough sleep,
deep in the shifting miasmas of clinging nightmares,
bearing up because I keep being told I’m strong.
But this is a sickness nothing can lance;
chance would be a fine thing.

I’m tired, that’s the thing.
Just tired, and resisting the obvious option,
because anyone close enough would see at a glance
that this creature needs more sleep,
wreathed in the creeping realisation that strong
isn’t enough to stop the nightmares

Because they’re mighty, these nightmares,
and I’m tired, that’s the thing,
of living up to the myth of strong,
wrong-footing myself until the only option
is push until I’m dropping, beyond the need to sleep.
Any more of this, and I’ll need an ambulance.

But there’s something like a dirty little jubilance
as I slalom the persistent nightmares
by the simple expedient of dodging sleep,
deep in denial until I’m too tired – that’s the thing,
mocking any sensible option
after all: I need to prove myself strong

Rapidly repeat a word until it loses meaning: strong strong strong strong strong,
upright, mighty, solid, persistent, grim, ringed with vigilance;
hero or villain - those are the options,
because not enough sleep means the daytime bleeds nightmares
which I’m too tired to not flinch from, that’s the thing,
and still I stop here, not sleeping.

Repeatedly censor a concept until it loses meaning: sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep...
But the gravity well of softness is strong,
and I’m tired, that’s the thing;
twitching from the rigours of hypervigilance,
becoming one with the nightmares
harrowing down my option

And the thing is – I’d probably think clearer with more sleep,
give myself better options instead of mocking the concept of strong,
striking a balance between me and the nightmares; it may be too late.

Screenshot of a FitBit recording of a person's sleep stages from 3:24am to 7:38am today. A red and blue graph of irregular rises and falls against a dark blue background indicates 19m spent awake (7%), 55m in REM (21%), 2h 23m in light sleep (56%), and 37m spent in deep sleep (14%).


This one’s taken a couple of days to write, and I’ve enjoyed adding more repetition than usual to an already repetitive form (sestina, as taught to us by our dear, departed friend, Caron Freeborn, available, like its kin, in the Concrete and Repeating Forms spreadsheet). I wouldn’t say it’s factual (for one thing, the cough drops line was purely for the sake of internal assonance), but it’s true enough.

1 comment:

  1. Been debating all day yesterday,
    if I should comment on this.
    Because I've got so much to say,
    but what is there to say,
    really?

    What can I say to make it better,
    to make you less tired,
    to make your sleep more sound?
    And what right do I have
    to say anything?

    Let me offer this:
    When you speak of this bone deep tiredness,
    you speak to me.
    Or, I hear you,
    at least.

    When I could barely move over Easter
    because everything was so much,
    was too much,
    I turned to you, towards your work.
    Don't know why.

    But it helped.
    It helped, because it made me smile,
    because it made me realise
    I'm not alone,
    even though we're strangers.

    When I can't sleep,
    I sometimes listen to your voice.
    It doesn't always help me
    fall asleep.
    I think it helps, nontheless.

    But I want you to know this:
    If you never wrote another word,
    never recorded another syllable,
    I wouldn't mind,
    if it meant you were happy.

    Because your existence is a light.
    You make me want to live in this world
    a little more, because it has you in it.
    I don't need you to be strong,
    I just need you to be.

    So, I guess, what I offer is this:
    You're not alone.
    You've got, if you'd like one, a friend.
    But at the very least,
    a soul you have touched.

    ReplyDelete