Thursday 3 April 2014

#3 Morning Calmer

It starts with a chitter,
A skitter of tiny nails,
A wave of that bog-brush
They're so proud of.

They're flirting with vision,
Skirting past eyelines,
The tree-line shaking
As they wake to the world.

Then BANG! a scattershot of nuts
As they thump,
Bump the tits from the table,
The sable-hearted bastards.

I crouch, seething,
Breathing huffs of discontent
Against this
Baffling barrier.

"Gently…" he says,
Lifting my wrath away
From coffee cups, dumping me
Among the laundry.

My lip curls and I hiss defiance,
Take stance, then slink away
To wash my face,
Grace personified in black and white.

Out of sight, he shrieks,
And I race back, heart thumping,
Thundering to the rescue,
Ready for anything.

He dangles my morning gift
In a pincered grip,
Grimacing with pleasure
As I purr against him.

Words of love
Pour from his lips
As I slip between his feet,
Leap to watch my foe.

You're going down, my boys,
The next time I'm let out.




This came from the Bibliomancy prompt from the NaPoWriMo site. Mine was the following:

Pretend you have instant karma instead of instant coffee. There’s a war outside between squirrels

*

from “Another Roadside Distraction” by Kelli Russell Agodon


http://bibliomancyoracle.tumblr.com/post/22828685311/pretend-you-have-instant-karma-instead-of-instant


Cross-posted to the Cambridgeshire NaPoWriMo blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment